Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lesson Plan Reflection


Lesson

            My lesson is made for third graders following a unit on biographies where students had already chosen an important person and wrote a biography on that person.  The lesson is to teach students how to choose important events in a person’s life to include on a timeline.  First, we would have a discussion on how you could tell if an event was important or if it was supporting.  We would do this by using a person that no one in the class used for their biography.  Next, using an iPad on the document camera I would show the class how to create the timeline using the events we found together using the app Popplet.  I would show them how to take a picture and put it in the timeline.  Then, we would add some events together.  I would guide students by doing it on the document camera and students would do it on their iPad along with me.  As students become comfortable with what to do, they will be allowed to work on their own.  Students that need extra help will join me in a small group to work together until they feel comfortable.  Once everyone is working on their own, I will be able to walk around and assess students on their progress and redirect students who are off track.  Students will present their completed timeline to the class and I will assess their final project.

Implementation

            I was not able to implement my lesson in a classroom like I wanted.  I was able to adjust it a little to do with a sixth grader that I nanny for.  For the lesson, we chose to do the entire lesson with Harriet Tubman.  We looked up some information online and printed off a few reliable sources to use.  Next, we discussed how to determine what an important event in someone’s life is as opposed to a supporting event.  She was able to do this with very little guidance.  We only had one iPad, so first I showed her the app and how to add events and take pictures to put in the timeline.  She caught on very quickly and was able to work on her own after two examples.  As she was working I was able to see how easy it was for her to complete the timeline.  She worked on it all in one day, since I was there all day, and completed it all.  If she would have had to do it over a few days she may have needed a few reminders on how to use the app, but I am not sure of this.  Overall, this lesson went very well.  Since it was extremely easy for her to complete, I think it would be much more appropriate to do with third graders like I planned. 

Reflection

    The goal of this lesson was for students to learn what an important event is to use on a timeline.  With this knowledge students were to create a timeline using an iPad.  The assumptions were that the students would know how to navigate an iPad by using a touch screen and that they would know how to take pictures.  This assumption was correct in my implementation; she knew exactly what to do.
    An affordance was that I showed her how to use the app and had her try it with me.  I showed and told her what to do and in the future this will benefit both the visual and auditory learners, just like it benefited her.  Constraints I can see occurring are that students could become caught up in taking pictures and exploring the app and forget what they need to be doing to complete the assignment.  Since this was a one on one lesson this was not a problem at all.
    Constructivism will be taking place by allowing students to ask questions and learn from each other about timelines and the technology.  This did not occur during my implementation because it was only one student.  Behaviorism did occur because as she was working I gave her praise for doing a great job.  It will also occur, in the future, at the end when students share their completed timelines with their peers and myself.  This positive feedback will encourage them to be engaged in future assignments. 
    Technology plays a supporting role in this lesson.  Since the goal of the lesson was for students to find important events and then create a timeline, the technology is there to help them see it visually.  The advantage to using this technology is that students will be much more engaged in the lesson than if they were to just draw it out with paper and pencil.  The only disadvantage I can see is if students get too caught up in taking pictures or just really cannot get the hang of using the technology because then the lesson will be lost.  My goal is to not have them so focused on learning the technology, but on using it to help with their timeline. 
    This lesson fits well in the school curriculum and is intended enhance the learning of biographies.  It is a requirement for all third graders to complete a non-fiction writing piece, which is the biography.  The timeline is being used to enhance this curriculum by having students display the information in a different way. 
    All learners are expected to use what they learned about what important events in someone’s life would be and then put them into a timeline.  For students that are ELL, I will provide extra support in teaching what a timeline is.  I will offer support to all learners who struggle with the technology and/or assignment requirements.  I did not have to do this in my implementation.
    Teachers and students needed to know how to use an iPad and work with a touch screen.  Teachers need to know how to use the app and be able to problem solve for students if they come across difficulties.  Lastly, both the teacher and students need to know how to take a picture.
    I assessed her by checking in to see that she was on the right track as she was working.  I also checked her finished project in the end.  I would have done the same thing in a larger setting.
    She really enjoyed using the iPad to create the timeline.  She liked being able to take pictures to put in the timeline.  Since she did not have trouble with the content of the lesson, I cannot say whether or not the technology would have been influenced by the technology.  I do think by using iPads, it makes the lesson more engaging and would expect to see that students would understand the content.

No comments:

Post a Comment